Monday, February 18, 2008

Zorba's - Southbridge, MA

We were taking a break from a big moving project . We were dog tired and WICKED hungry, as we say here in New England. Our friend, whom we were moving, decided to treat us all to Zorba's, a favorite stop for people in the Southbridge area.

It was a Friday night and we were a party of ten, so we expected to wait. We waited pretty much an hour to sit down. I wasn't too happy about it, but at least that tells you that the place has a good reputation.

The Ambiance

We finally got in and were seated. Inside, it's very chattery and the large wood rafters and wood decor makes for a comfortable atmosphere. There is a full bar and the music selection is 80s-90s pop music.

The Service

It was a large group and I was really busy eating most of the time and still getting over the 1 hour wait, so I didn't really notice the service much. But I don't really have any complaints.

The Food

I have to point out that, as I am writing this, I am digesting 4 pieces of the best takeout pizza I have ever eaten (along with my Corona) and it came from Zorba's. Tonight we got some takeout and the actual visit to the restaurant was several weeks ago. I had a piece of their chicken sausage pizza. I don't know the name, but even the waitresses can't pronounce it. The vegetarian pizza is equally as good with a breaded-and-fried eggplant--SLURP! And even the plain cheese pizza is nothing short of extraordinary.

Anyway, I digress. Back to the visit.

I had some of the calamari that was ordered for the table and it was good, but nothing special. For my entree, I order a gyro because I am a fan. I was dissapointed because the beef/lamb did not seem to me to be freshly shaved from a big, skewered, rotating piece as is the tradition. The meat appeared to be just pre-frozen strips of the meat that was grilled and greasy.

My recommendation for Zorba's is: get the pizza. The pizza is the best pizza you will ever have. I could take or leave everything else. But let me conclude on the positive: Awesome. Pizza.

// Menu Selection: 9.3
// Taste: 8.2
// Presentation: 7.1
// Ambiance/Atmosphere: 7.3
// Service: 8.4

No comments: